<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Friday, July 29, 2005

IN THE GREEN 

No more blog till Monday. Julian and Florian are well scrubbed, the big yellow bag and the small black one are packed, and we are off on the 5am - yes you read that right! - boat to hit the Irish shows this weekend. Big adventure time.

You can`t fly with dogs to Ireland, so dogshow access is only by ferry. This immediately puts off a lot of exhibitors who will never set foot on a boat. I am lucky enough to have never known seasickness (apart from the time when I was hit in the solar plexus by a genny pole during a race - but that`s another story.) The Irish sea can be rough, but I can sit and eat happily as the stacked plates at the self-service counter are flying up and hitting the ceiling ( and the other customers are hitting the toilets}.

Those who go down to the sea with dogs are a hardy breed. Strange things can happen to them. I remember once watching from inside as a Rottweiler exhibitor walked her dog on deck in a gale. He did his duty, and as a conscientious owner she immediately picked it up and wrapped it in a plastic bag. Then she walked over to the rail, facing into the wind.

It was like watching a Buster Keaton sight gag. Everyone could see what was going to happen - except the participant. And those watching were powereless to stop it.

We watched. fascinated as she hurled the smelly package overboard.

And I`m ashamed to say we howled with delight as it came straight back unwrapped, and hit her in the face.

Well, this time it should be a quieter crossing. Expect a report on my adventures with:

1. Irish hospitality (lavish)

2. FCI rules (?)

3. The entire race of Irish Travellers, whom my Irish friend claims to have alienated ("I`m so glad I`ll have your support if they turn up...")

4. My cousin`s large tent, full of Afghans.
Comments:
Note to self: must not read this blog while drinking coffee.
 
What she said.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?