<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Friday, July 22, 2005

BASSETS AND BOLLOCKS 

No posts because I haven`t been well - those of you who have encountered the tale of my Achilles wooden leg (THE GREEKS HAD A WORD FOR IT} will know that I have these problems, and I struggled to the last show wheezing like a leaky steam engine - damn near a stationary one at that.

I managed to show the dogs somehow. But it was one of those days.

Florian did his best. But only a bucket of red hair dye would have won him a class that day. Red or dead. Haven`t seen such a blatant example of "I only like one colour" judging in years. He was 3rd.

Prudence forgot everything she had ever learned, became mega-girlie and was a disaster. The wrong colour of disaster at that.

Oh a great day. And I had to give a lecture too. One of our breeders had been caught out selling to an Irish puppy farmer - and she had two puppies by my Julian. I gave her a succinct account of how her reputation in dogs had just died and a warning about the puppies. And I didn`t lower my voice. It`s a horrible thought - a poor little animal condemned to two litters a year and knocked on the head when she can`t produce enough any more.

After all that I was really finished. I went and sat on the benches and coughed and coughed, with an audience of Prudence and Florian and an Airedale in a cage, called Bollocks - well he seemed to respond to the word when I threatened him with a swift kick there if he didn`t shut up.

No, of course I didn`t. I gave him a biscuit. Poor thing, all alone in a cage. Didn`t shut him up though.

Eventually I staggered to my feet and somehow trailed all my stuff out to the bus, the loud complaints of Bollocks dying away behind me.

Somehow I got home. Couldn`t get a breath on the bus, and this was compounded by the fact that we were carrying Bassets. If you know Basset hounds you will know the smell. If you don`t I couldn`t possibly begin to get the effect over here. A solid, thick, warm wall of odour. And no, they were perfectly clean. It`s a Basset thing...

Well now I`m relaxing in the sun on antibiotics and steroids, delighted to be told to take it easy, sitting out with the dogs, watching the buzzards circling in a bright blue sky. Buzzards everywhere these days. Apart from having to evict a whole family of baby bluetits who had come in the window and decided to colonise the sitting room, I am pleased to report that absolutely nothing has happened today.

Just wait till tomorrow....
Comments:
I hope you feel better soon! I've missed your posts... my life is not exactly bereft without them but they are a bright spot!! And good for you for telling off the breeder who sold to the puppy farmer. We call them puppy mills over here but it's the same sordid business.
Oh, and your garden is lovely!!
 
Hope you're better now. It's not just me who enjoys your posts, one of my friends in India is also a fan now - of your writing, if not dogs in general :)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?