<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Saturday, April 15, 2006

SPARK DIES 

Muriel Spark has died - a famous Scot who injected a timely jolt of acid into the anodyne English novel of the time.

I am well acquainted with her novels, but never met her personally. Not for want of trying. Every year a student committee I was part of would invite her to come as a guest speaker, and her refusals were invariably entertaining. I remember that she once replied that -
a) she was a poor public speaker
and
b) her legs weren`t nearly good enough to take the audience`s mind off (a).

She brought a sharp focus to the novel form that is hard to find today.

She will be sadly missed.
Comments:
I'm unfamiliar with her work, but shall look her up when I'm at the library next week, thank you! (I love the reason for the refusal).
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?