<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Sunday, April 10, 2005

HEIL WHO? 

I took myself off - at last - to see MILLION DOLLAR BABY, just to see why………Well, it`s a boxing flick. And it owes to all the others in that genre. It`s very predictable and fits like a well-worn shoe. But I like boxing flicks and there`s a satisfaction in seeing the cliches and conventions dealt with well. And of course there`s the Eastwood charisma, and a nice downbeat ending. Really retro, though, and ot exactly pushing back any boundaries. A nice safe choice..

There was also a trail for UNTERGANG, the new film on – Hitler. It`s German, but the subject matter alone makes it big over here.

Hitler again. Of course it`s slightly different for the Germans, but why are we British still so obsessed with the evil little psychopath after all this time? From TV drama and documentary to school-level history he`s a prime topic.. We have other history, equally valid. We even have other psychohpaths – Stalin, I think, was an even greater monster and probably caused more atrocities and killed more people

But we`re not falling over ourselves to play him on the screen or bring out yet another book on him, Of course he was an ally……..

It`s important to know your history and learn from it, but I think we would learn more of immediate value by turning our focus on our post-war history. I grew up with the post-war euphoria of “building a Greater Britain” and I think I know why it all ran away down the drain. Most schoolkids studying history are nore likely to be experts on what Hitler`s dog was called, and what he liked to eat. . An obsession with one war and one man is profitless and unhealthy.

I don`t appreciate war films and will not be seeing UNTERGANG..
Comments:
Well Yes it is a war film, but on the other hand it isn't. It is more about the banality of evil. It is basically showing that Hitler was a person, and should not be dismissed as just an evil monster. I went to see this and thought it really was worth viewing.

I do get your point about there being WWII overkill though
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?