<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Sunday, March 20, 2005

I, POD 

The iPod is sitting on the table beside me, watching me with its little round click-wheel eye. I know it`s planning something nasty……..

I have had for years a 20 gig Creaative Jukebox. It`s big, clunky and absolutely reliable. It`s also full.

So I bought an iPod. Small, light convenient. 40 gig. Easy to programme.

Right.

I was annoyed when it crashed occasionally, but not really disturbed until the long journey when it refused to play anything beginning with R

Things since then have gone from bad to worse. On the long dark journey to Crufts it attempted to entertain me with a playlist it had made up itself, consisting of everything with a title contaiing “3’. As most of the present contents are classical, this meant a sequence of Third Movements, Sonata no 3, Variation no 3, etc. I was a bit alarmed. I could sense it reaching out, longing for a connection to download “Three Steps to Heaven “ and “Three Blind Mice”

I`m not daft. I`m a longtime member of the BSFA. I`ve read Asimov. I know what`s going on..

It`s trying to achieve sentience. Not I, ROBOT, but I, POD

Over my dead body……..

I wish I hadn`t said that. I think I just saw it move……..

I really wish I hadn`t said that.
Comments:
Haha... I'm a new owner of a 20-gig iPod, and it's been working fine so far. But what do I know, I've only had it a week. If it starts making up its own lists, I guess I'll have to seriously consider the theory that iPods are secretly planning to oust mankind :) I read Asimov too!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?