<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Thursday, March 09, 2006

OF CRUFTS AND LENTILS 

The Crufts team for Saturday is down to three.

Mr Lentil disgraced himself at the club Open show, refusing to perform. I couldn`t see anything wrong but he was at the vet`s on Monday morning, sulking and rolling his eyes. He was prodded and poked all over and I remarked that I thought that he was at it - and at that point he squeaked and jumped.

"A sore disc, it seems," she said, "but I`ll give it a minute and try again. Meanwhile I`ll just empty his anal glands while we wait..."

Poor Lentil! It just wasn`t his morning. She got a firm grip on the offending area and gave it a vicious squeeze - I swear his eyes crossed. She worked on while we chatted about the weather and Mr L`s knees quivered visibly. When she decided to keep him in for an Xray his misery was complete.

The little dog I collected later was in the throes of terminal betrayal. He wasn`t speaking to me ever again. Even sliced beef and pressed tongue were not enough.

Although he didn`t have a damaged disc, he was to sleep alone to spare his sore back. In the small hours the wailing began. and I gave in. He ended up sleeping on the bed. And he`s been there ever since.....
Comments:
Whoa, what the hell is that about Anal glands and all?? Is this something that happens to all dogs? Oh dear Lord, was I about to buy a dog and not know about this anal gland squeezing thingy??

Michelle
 
Don`t panic ! This does NOT happen to all dogs. But a few of them have these little glands on either side of the anus fill up occasionally, and you squeeze them to expel the......well, stuff. Otherwise they would get sore and inflamed. Of all the dogs I`ve had in all those years, I reckon only four or five have had this problem....and even then not all the time. Anal glands are definitely NOT something to worry about - unless you`re Mr Lentil, of course.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?