<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Friday, February 10, 2006

ZEN AND THE ART OF HENWRAPPING 

The account of the esoteric practice of henwrapping seems to have aroused some interest. I`d better come clean and admit that I was never admitted to the inner circles of this sisterhood, and have actually never attempted to wrap a live hen in newspaper. I`ve just seen so many, always carried under the arm and clearly the essential accessory for the voluminous black clothes women of a cetain age used to wear in rural Greece. Only the head was visible, and looked alert and interested- a bird Going Somewhere....

But where? Where were all these hens (I never saw a male bird wrapped for travel) going? Why were they criscrossing the country on rural buses and trains? They looked used to it, as if they did this often - "Come on, Henny Penny, jump into this sports page and we`ll go for a jaunt to Stasanopolis, see the sights, do a bit of shopping, maybe hit a few bars....."

As to how - well it takes at least three broadsheet pages, and I would suggest that the hen has to Really Want It...

Which brings me back to why.

I wonder if it was a talismanic thing. Maybe a rickety old train or bus chugging up a mountain road simply seemed to run better with a wrapped hen on board- perhaps the rural Greek equivalent of 70s furry dice.

My friend who lived years in Kenya tells me that something similar happened there. No bus was complete without the appropriate animal - in this case a goat on a piece of string.

She reckons that in terms of being able to breathe in a hot airless confined vehicle she`d have the hen every time, with or without wrapping.
Comments:
I think that wrapping a hen would have to be easier than wrapping a goat.

That being said, both must be easier than trying to knit lace while being assisted by one cranky old lapcat, three curious knittens and a high-maintenance five-year-old.

Sick or not, I think the drinking is going to have to recommence this evening.
 
It's nice when people take their pets with them on adventures!! Perhaps the hen is actually an evil dictator who is going to take over the world with 'goats on string' as his foot soldiers!!

Have you heard any whispers from his canine 'forward platoon'?

Michelle
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?