<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Sunday, December 18, 2005

BIG MEN 

A bit of a lost week, the last one - Sonja came down with multiple infections, my vet had to be pressured into giving an appropriate antibiotic, and I have been nursing round the clock. A bad time.

But she`s getting better, so yesterday I came out blinking into the light of day and headed to the chilly, windswept market.

And here`s where we descend into the local criminal underworld. I was looking for DVDs of certain current children`s blockbuster films out in the cinema right now. And I wasn`t going to wait till next Christmas for them. To be specific, I was looking for Big George and his pirate DVD stall.

It`s a funny thing, this "big" title. Scotsmen - I must put this delicately - while not exactly vertically challenged, are not world famous for being tall. But they all like to be called "big". I know Big Tam the taxi driver, Big John who runs the local fabric shop, Big Jim - I could go on and on and, whisper it, none of these men is exactly all that big. The classic Scottish honorific with which to offer respect is "Big Man" . In fact the only local exception I can think of was Wee Skin the barber - and he committed suicide.......

Anyway, I slogged on round the windswept freezing market, hunting for a seedy stall run by a furtive guy with a big cardboard box of DVDs. No luck. At last Big Andy, selling cut-price fags, provenance unknown, enlightened me. No Christmas kiddy films this year.

I went on home, pondering how to explain to two seriously disappointed little girls on Christmas Day the concept of "at present helping the police with their enquiries".....
Comments:
I hope Red Sofa and her puppies are OK!
Merry Christmas to you and yours! I love your blog!
 
Thank you, and merry Christmas to you too! Sonja has been quite ill, due I think to my vet`s reluctance to give an antibiotic in time, but she`s now on the mend.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?