<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Saturday, August 06, 2005

WORLDCON 

Just home from a second busy day at Worldcon. No I don`t go to cons very often. I used to attend the local ones, but haven`t been to one since......dearie me, since the last time there was a Worldcon in Glasgow, ten years ago!

This is much more organised. No more tatty little cubicles divided by screens - function suites, and the Armadillo and lots of staff to help. Quite impressive.

But as with all cons, the main programme is usually SNAFU. And I`m one of those geeks who likes the main programme. I like to hear and talk to writers. I am very, nay seriously, unlikely to stick on plastic pointy ears or go to wild all night parties or sing. To each his own.

So I have been meeting many interesting people, usually searching in many uniform grey corridors for programme items that have somehow dropped off the planet, knowing that in the depths of yet another corridor some poor soul is sitting in an empty room with head in hands moaning: "Nobody came to hear me! Am I so boring or do I have terminal foot odour?"

And sitting through talks and seminars, either thinking: "Gosh, how stimulating!"

or

"Gee, I never knew that!"

or

"Boy, Harry really has lost weight! And isn`t this seat hard!"

Well, it has to be worth it, for I`m going back for more tomorow. Watch this space for thrilling tales of anime, time travel and drunken Russians....

Or whatever.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?