<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

A bit late with this, but I have been laid up with my Achilles Wooden Leg .........nevertheless I did get out to celebrate Hogmanay at another cousin`s hotel - much food and a ceilidh band --- then back to my Afghan relatives for Ne`erday. And yes - their trip to Ireland was a great success, with big wins for Victoria and Deefor.

Deefor is a pale gold dog,originally Irish, and my cousin`s partner bought him there on seeing how beautifully he moved. She was much struck by the name.

"Deefor?" she asked. "An old Irish name?"

The seller looked amazed.

"No, he`s just Deefor." Sensing total incomprehension she gently explained:

"That`s Dee for Dog."

As a method of naming litters I can see this has its limitations........

Lots of people in the east are not having a happy new year. You know what I mean. I don`t think the tsunami victims will benefit from a lot of blog agonizing. This problem is not to be solved by discussion and hand-wringing. Go out and donate - my preferred charity is Medecins sans Frontieres, but there are many to choose from.

And again I wish the best for everyone in 2005
Comments:
The dog is beautiful! (and I don't generally like Afghans). I'm so sorry about your wooden ... um ... chest ... I hope it gets better soon.
 
That was one of the possible naems we thought up for our dog, Deefor. And then there was Dogfrey, and Slobadog but in the end we went for Shady.
 
Actually, Deefor's name reminds me of when I went to visit some friends who had just been adopted by a new puppy. I asked the dog's name and the adoptees said "Arnoo". I asked if this was Scandinavian or something and they said no, it stood for "arnoo puppy". Translate that to "Our New Puppy" for anyone without a completely hideous accent.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?