<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

POOR BEN GUNN 

I suppose I will go ahead and confess to the sordid shipwreck story.

Palm trees shedding coconuts on desert island beaches are not involved here. Readjust your anticipation - we are on Loch Lomond in a rising force 5 on a chilly September day. I can hear the rushing noise as dozens (note the optimism) of you quit the blog at once. Sensible you - we should have done the same on that day. But we were trying a new boat, and sense was not on board.

Suffice it to say we tried a really hairy gybe and capsized. Right over. Keel in the air. Stuck there clinging to the hull, suddenly totally aware that the loch is a glaciated one and almost 700 feet deep in the middle.

Well, we floated in and at last came ashore on one of the larger islands as dusk was falling. I squelched out, very glad of dry land. The boat owner staggered out and sat down suddenly. I noticed that he had stopped shivering.

"How are you?" I asked.

"I can`t hear you," he replied.

Immediately the manual flashed before my eyes. The First Aid manual, that is. In eidetic clarity I saw the page on hypothermia. What was the stage after progressive loss of senses? Ah yes - coma and death. And what was the remedy? Of course - instant immersion in a hot bath.

I gazed around hopefully at the darkening island Under the scrubby bushes no steaming hot baths lurked. I realised that the manual expected you to suffer hypothermia in your own home, or at worst in a really good hotel.

But - I knew there were summer houses on the island. They would all be locked up and probably the power shut down, but they were the only thing on offer. I dragged the patient uphill through the brambles until we found one. It wasn`t too hard to break in.

I was lucky. It was damp and dismal, but I could switch the power on. We had heat and light. But it was going to take some time before anything approaching a hot bath materialised. Were there any other remedies.?

I racked my memory. Warm the patient by total body contact.........there must be another way.

Stimulate the circulation.

This is where it gets a bit like a Hammer film. Not for the faint hearted. Remember, I had to improvise. In a dismal damp room on a deserted island, lit by a 40 watt bulb, I stripped the lad and rubbed him vigorously all over with offcuts of coconut matting. It`s the scene they cut out of Treasure Island, I suppose, but it would fit in well with the old traditional seagoing punishments - the cat, the keelhauling and the coconut matting -" Oh please cap`n, not that! Not the coconut matting......!"

I often wonder how he explained the scars in later life......

Yes we survived, and at dawn righted the boat and got back to the mainland.

I phoned work, it now being Monday. I always remember that call.

"I won`t be in today. I`ve been shipwrecked."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?