<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Saturday, October 15, 2005

REQUIESCAT 

The funeral was every bit as bad as I expected. A small sad event in a cold windswept very new crematorium. A not very good piper.

We began with the mariners` hymn and I had the awful suspicion that the minister had mistaken the funeral and thought we were burying a sailor.

I wasn`t any more impressed by his condolences for the bereaved husband "who had supported her over 40 years of disability" - actually he had abandoned her for years and gone off womanizing, leaving her in a wheelchair and only returning when he finally ran out of money.

And that awful moment afterwards, outside, when everyone eyes up everyone else, wondering who`s next to go....

We all hurried back to her brother`s hotel and became instantly and resolutely cheerful over salad sandwiches and coffee.

Some older people make a hobby out of attending funerals.

Not me. I`ve buried too many people.

And the mariners` hymn? Turns out it was her favourite from childhood.

Well it`s over. And now I`m packing for yet another show. Here we go again.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?